Wednesday 15 June 2011

Life without the Tv.





Last week the signal in our apartment block vanished for more than a week.

Yes to begin with i admit it was hard, we come in after work, and its the first thing we do, turn on the box, and its the last thing we do before we go to bed, switch it off, yes it was difficult and me and my partner were actually wondering 'what we were going to do' in replacement?! I even brought out a jigsaw first day i was that much in shock.


Downstairs there were notes from other apartments on the communal notice board complaining, moaning, threatening... and hands up on day 2 i did ring up the apartment officer to report it (i wasnt the first), but straight after i did wonder why i was making a fuss and why was i even bothered... i was actually enjoying the peace and quiet and - i should probably enjoy it to!


It didn’t take long to get used to life without the Tv. When talking to family and friends about it, the question arose again... “What are you doing instead?”. It was a similar question to what we were asking ourselves previous... what shall we do? what are we gonna do?...

It made me think more about it a bit more... Yes it’s an easy one to answer, but in many ways, i find it quite sad that i actually have to answer it!! – and i just thought to myself, do we, or do people in general honestly have no life beyond Tv nowadays? and have we got into such a habit of relying on Tv to communicate, or not to communicate?


Like i've outlined before I think excessive internet socialization can have the same negative impact as now i'm having with my Tv — its filling a void.


No Tv show can compete with the stimulating conversation which me and my partner engaged in that week, listening to each other properly, having lengthly conversations about our day, laughing, we cooked together, we read, we went for walks, to the cinema, we relaxed, listened to the radio... are all these becoming past times now? are WE numbers in a culture that is media obsessed?


Anyway, after a week I started to feel that not having a glowing television and white noise beckoning me allows me freedom within myself, to find peace, rest, give myself time to think, become creative... But... I know i, 'AM' to blame, it is my fault to become a number within this world to become glued to the Tv, and it's only me who can break it....


If it was just me, In the words of Phone jacker... I'd sell the 'looka deu tuv' tomorrow but, jointly we've have decided Wednesday is the only NO Tv day.


I will look forward to Wednesdays.


No comments: